Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Intermittent Fasting

Yesterday, after reading this post, I decided to try Intermittent Fasting. I ate a most delicious chicken. I had to stuff in the last fourth of it, which left me feeling a bit uncomfortable. This was at 3:00pm.

I continued to drink large amounts of water all afternoon and into the evening.

Around 8:30, after getting the kids to bed, I was starting to feel some hunger. Normally this is the time where I will snack on some chocolate and chase it with some protein powder, or maybe even have some berries or grapefruit. And that's on a normal night, when I'm only 2 or 3 hours removed from supper. But alas, I'm fasting. So I went upstairs, read for an hour, and went to bed. The hunger was gone as soon as I decided not to eat and left the kitchen.

Today is Kim's birthday, and the kids wanted to fix her breakfast in bed. We cooked up some omelets with cheddar and bacon, and cut up a generous portion of watermelon. Normally while cooking I will feel free to sample the wares, some grated cheese here, a few cubes of melon there. And I almost popped some food into my mouth a few times out of habit. But for the most part I wasn't hungry. I had one episode of intense hunger that lasted about 5 seconds, and that was it.

Kim convinced me to have a bite of her omelet. This occured at 9:00am. At 9:45 I performed a Slow Burn upper body workout. The fast had no negative effect on my energy level during the workout. In fact, I seemed to experiecne less fatigue between exercises than normal.

At 11:00, I wasn't even hugry. I tried to think of something that sounded good to eat, but nothing really seemed appealing. So I had a can of sardines, a couple ounces of gouda, and some protein powder mixed with an egg.

No comments: